Family Childcare Educators
Boston Healthy Family Childcare Initiative is a project that promotes eco-healthy family childcare facilities by building the skills and knowledge to understand asthma and reduce environmental triggers in family in-home childcare facilities. Family childcare educators care for thousands of young children and are concentrated in the Boston neighborhoods that are home to many African-American and Latino residents.
Recognizing that many family childcare educators do not yet have the knowledge, tools, and/or power to address environmental asthma triggers or potential sources of lead in the home, we:
- provide information and trainings to family childcare educators;
- promote policy improvements;
- and work to increase the supply and demand for Eco-Healthy childcare homes.
More information about BHHSC's Healthy Homes for Family Childcare Educator Training Program
Our key partners in the BHFCI include:
- Child Care Choices of Boston (CCCB). CCCB is Greater Boston’s childcare resource and referral agency. CCCB is a key leader in the family childcare educator community, providing resources, referrals, and training to a diverse community of families and FCPs in the Boston area.
- Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care (MA DEEC). MA DEEC is the state agency that licenses and regulates family childcare educators.
- Family childcare educator systems and their leaders
Our goals for this project are
- for leaders in family childcare institutions to gain knowledge about the importance of healthy indoor environments
- for the MA DEEC regulatory policies for family childcare educators to reflect best practices in environmental health and
- to encourage family childcare providers to reduce environmental triggers in their facilities.
We hope to accomplish these goals by developing an “Eco-Healthy Family Childcare” certification program which would ensure that family childcare providers are knowledgeable about how to maintain a healthy indoor environment and the resources available to them.
For more information about the Green Boston Healthy Family Childcare Initiative (BHFCI ), please contact Katherine Connolly, at 617-451-0049 ext. 202 or at firstname.lastname@example.org